October 28, 2015
| Health | 0 comments
| Author: Karen
Food is indispensable for humans as it is an essential for survival. However, it is a sad reality of life that many of us are not conscious about the food that we feed our body. Through being irresponsible and unintelligent with our food choices, we are sacrificing one important thing – our health. Obesity, for instance, is one of the most common problems that result from eating without thinking. In this case, keep on reading and I will provide you with some insights on some of the best food habits that you can apply in your life, which, in one way or another, will be instrumental towards having a healthier body.
Never Skip Breakfast
What could be a better start for your day than a nice and filling breakfast? Stick to this golden rule of eating: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar. Breakfast is perhaps the most important meal of the day as it will provide you with the fuel to last longer during the day and to stay satiated. Your breakfast should be rich in fiber and protein. Try to stay away from those that are filled with sugar, including artificial sweetener. Of course, salt should also be avoided. Although sodium can add flavor to your breakfast, it can cause hypertension, and can put you at higher risk of other health problems, such as kidney disease and stroke.
Change the Way you Cook
One of the things that should be given emphasis about healthy eating is that it should never deprive you of the foods that make you happy. More often than not, it can be unhealthy because of the way that it is cooked. With such, below are some alternative cooking methodologies that can make your meals healthier:
- Rather than frying meat, have it grilled
- If frying is necessary, have it stir-fried or use minimal amount of oil
- To enjoy your vegetables, steam them until you get a nice crunch
- Forget about salt in the kitchen and substitute it with flavorful herbs and spices
- Instead of the usual salad dressing, use balsamic vinegar as an alternative
- Try making your own version of sauces rather than buying the packed ones
Moderation is Key
Many people lack discipline when it comes to eating. They easily get tempted with what is served in front of them. Worse, they tend to overeat. This can lead into obesity and other health problems. To live a healthier and fitter life, you must know how to eat in moderation. Portion control may seem hard at first, but all it actually needs is discipline and motivation. When you are eating out, try to share a plate with a friend or have half of the meal portion separated for takeaway. Also, try replacing your big plates at home with smaller ones.
Hydrate with Water
This is one of the most recommended yet often ignored tips. It is easy to forget your water intake in a day. It would be best if you can always carry with you a water bottle so that you will be reminded of the need to drink. While your body needs water, it does not mean that any liquid will deliver the same effect. Be wary of what you drink. Avoid soda and other drinks that are filled with artificial sugar. According to experts, men should be drinking at least 2.6 liters of water daily. Women, on the other hand, should have 2.1 liters of water daily.
Have a Holistic Approach
At the end of the day, you should try to look at healthy living as a whole and not only dependent on the food that you eat. Even if you eat healthy food but your lifestyle remains sedentary, your diet will most likely not work for your advantage. With this, aside from food habits, you should adapt a change in your lifestyle as well. Try to have a daily exercise routine, even just 15 minutes in a day. Try walking or cycling as an alternative to using your car when traveling short distances. Consider cutting down your vices such as smoking and consuming alcohol.
Is there anything that we missed? If there is any tip that you would like to share with our readers, feel free to leave a comment.
October 22, 2015
| Health | 0 comments
| Author: Karen
With the variety of health problems that we experience, it is common to resort into the use of medications that are commercially-available, either those that are prescribed or available as over-the-counter drugs. However, these medications are notoriously known for using ingredients that can be dangerous for your health and can also lead into developing dependency. With such, it would help if you will take a look at alternative healing options, including resorting into natural treatment. It will provide you with safe, effective, and economical treatment options. With this, keep on reading and you will learn more about some of the best choices in treating various health conditions in a manner that is 100% natural.
Colds and Flu
- Getting enough rest, more often than not, will be helpful in lessening the symptoms that are associated with colds and flu.
- Gargling with a solution made from warm water and salt, done at least four times in a day, will also help as it will soothe the throat. A mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey will also be good for gargling.
- Mixing cinnamon with honey to make a tea is another natural solution that would work. Cinnamon is known to be an antibiotic and antiviral, allowing relief from congestion.
- Drinking chamomile tea will also be a big help, especially for kids. Chamomile will help to effectively reduce fever.
Wounds and Cuts
- Several studies in the past have revealed how honey is effective in speeding up healing of wounds, making it more effective than antibiotics. You can use raw honey as dressing for the wound.
- Allicin, a compound that is found in garlic, is believed to work like penicillin. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Another natural treatment option that can be considered is cayenne pepper. It works by helping the blood to clot faster and hence, stopping the wound from bleeding.
- It may be surprising for many, but potatoes can also help when it comes to wound healing. The potatoes will help in absorbing infection out of the wood.
- In order to lower blood pressure naturally, one of the alternatives that can be taken into account is to have more garlic intake in your diet. It will not only help in improvement of blood pressure, but will also improve blood flow.
- Increasing your potassium intake, such as eating more potatoes and bananas will also help.
- You can also take supplements that make use of cat’s claw as the main ingredients, which will help reduce blood pressure through providing calcium in your cells.
- Basil, cinnamon, and cardamom are also essentials in a healthy diet in order to treat hypertension.
- One of the simplest solutions to migraines is lavender oil. You can have it applied topically or also have it inhaled. If it is to be inhaled, you can combine two drops of lavender oil to two cups of water.
- In many instances, a simple DIY massage of the scalp will be effective in easing the pain that is possibly caused by migraine. Once you have learned the right technique, it will provide immediate relief once you feel extreme headache.
- In one study conducted in Great Britain, it has been revealed that feverfew helped ease migraine amongst 70% of the participants. In addition, another study also noted that it has properties similar to aspirin.
- Acupuncture has also gained reputation as an excellent choice for the natural treatment of migraine. The needles are believed to be effective in triggering chemicals that reduce pain.
- Simple hot and cold therapy can be effective in the reduction of pain that is associated with arthritis. Warm shower, especially in the morning, will help to ease the joints. A gel ice pack, when applied on the affected area, can also provide immediate relief.
- Meditation is another simple and natural solution that will work. It helps in the reduction of stress and encourages positivism.
- Boswellia is one herb that has gained reputation for providing effective relief from arthritis. It is an ingredient that is used in topical creams and supplements that help fight arthritis.
- Eucalyptus is another ingredient that is found in supplements meant for people with arthritis. It has a compound known as tannin, which aids in the reduction of pain and swelling.
October 19, 2015
| Living Tips | 0 comments
| Author: Karen
Y.O.L.O! You Only Live Once! With this, there is no reason for you to not make the most out of it. How can you live your life to the fullest if you do not have a smile on the face or if you have the body of an unhealthy man? With this, keep on reading the rest of this post and I will provide you with recommendations on how you can be happy and heathy. It is not as hard as it seems. Through simple tips, you can change your life. It may not be an overnight process, but with patience and commitment, you will surely be able to have a life well-lived.
Be Healthy and Happy: Rules to Live By
- Keep on Moving: This is one of the most basic rules that should be imbibed. Exercise is one of the keys to a healthier life, especially when you are already aging. Through regular exercise, your body will have better resistance against a variety of health problems. It will also help you to fight obesity and can help you achieve a well-toned body, which will make you more confident.
- Watch what you Eat: Aside from exercise, a healthy diet is another tip that is omnipresent in any guide to having a well-lived life. It is important to eat nutritious food, mostly plant-based, such as vegetables, nuts, fruits, and seeds. Avoid sugar as much as possible. You should also be cautious about your sodium intake. Live by this rule: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar.
- Be Appreciative: This is often ignored by many people in spite of its importance. Simply thanking the waiter who served your food, the guard who opened the door, or the cashier after paying can do a lot for you to be happy, as well as for others to be happy as well.
- Find your Purpose: It is difficult to live your life without knowing what exactly you want. This will not only
make you happy and healthy, but will also be instrumental towards your longevity. You should have a goal, a reason why you wake up each day and the motivation to strive harder. Make a personal mission and live each day trying to fulfil your purpose. Consequently, this will make you an instrument towards the fulfillment the happiness of other people as well.
- Have a Support Group: In this case, your support group is going to be your social network. Family, friends, and colleagues, will have a significant part to play in a healthy and happy life. Their behaviors can influence the way you live. In the same way, when you are feeling lonely, their presence will surely make you happy and forget your problems.
- Get Some Sleep: This is another simple rule that many people do not follow. More often than not, because of our hectic schedules at work, or because of endless nights of partying, we tend to lack sleep. Make sure that you are always well-rested to be healthy and happy.
- Be Yourself: Never hide in the shadows of anyone else. Stop pretending that you are someone you are not. By being true to yourself, you are getting to enjoy the freedom to live to the fullest.
- Be Childish: Even if you are already growing old, this should not be an excuse for you to forget having fun. Be sure to stay childlike. Be curious. Know how to have fun. Do not stress out on the small things.
- Have Faith: Health and happiness are also spiritual in nature. This can be greatly debated, but the bottom-line is that when you have faith, you have the reason to believe that tomorrow is going to be brighter and that any problem that confronts you is just temporary.
- Be Kind: Like showing appreciation, kindness bears fruit not just for yourself, but for others as well. Random acts of kindness to strangers will not only make them happy, but will contribute to your inner happiness as well. It could be a simple text message to extend your regards to someone or giving your leftover food to the needy. Whether small or grand, any act of kindness will make your life more fulfilling.